Training and Billable Tasks for Junior FileMaker Developersby
Billable Tasks to Assign to Junior Developers
By Molly Connolly
Summer is a great time to hire and train a new college graduate. Here are a few ideas to get you thinking about how junior developers can quickly get up to speed and start contributing billable hours to client projects.
A junior developer can handle all support call logging and, after some training, even provide the client with some initial help. This responsibility allows junior staff to become familiar with clients’ issues and see patterns across projects.
- Do simple custom changes, billing the client one hour in three.
- Participate in quality assurance and testing; data entry (creating test data); data cleanup and interface cleanup.
- Take charge of drafting weekly reports for the team and report work flow blockages to project manager.
When these tasks are complete, a junior developer could use his or her time to:
Watch videos, read FileMaker books, forums, listen to podcasts and work through FTS.
- Provide administrative support to marketing staff or assist with new client proposals.
- Several managers use the month long JumpStartFM course to train junior developers. If you have a budget for training, this may be the quickest way to on-board a new hire.
What are some of the things on your plate that you wish you could delegate to another staff member? Can any of these items be broken into small pieces and assigned to a junior developer? I’d love to hear your ideas and thoughts about managing junior staff in the comments section.by
Liked this post? Follow this blog to get more.